Saturday, August 20, 2011

7 Things I Learned About Fashion in Brussels

Brussels, Belgium
*
1.   "Gypsies" layer beautifully.
Culturally significant, pretty and utilitarian fabrics in varying patterns and colors are harmoniously worn in a unique way that is often imitated but rarely executed so honestly.  

2.  I like punk.
Belgian punks changed how I regarded the style.  Observing people owning the look at all ages and income levels made me see the aesthetic properties.  It wasn't about shock value or being deliberately anti-fashion.

 After leaving New Orleans to spend months in an Islamic country, 
you would take a photo of a bar at 6AM too.  Don't judge me.
*
3.  Not all major European cities are fashion obsessed.
No one appeared to be trying really hard to look "in vogue".  Very unpretentious place.  I loved that.  

4.  Awesome eyewear goes a long way.
I drooled over show-stopping frames almost everywhere I went. 

 My father and a friend at Grand Place
*
5.  Old European cities have great vintage clothes.
Period.  See the post on the Place du Jeu de Balle Flea Market.

6.  Six or seven pastel candy colored pieces in an outfit is OK with me.
I noticed a woman that appeared as if she just stepped out of Willy Wonka's Imagination Room with an edible outfit.  I was surprised I liked it.  Dior's Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2011-2012 collection masterfully paired these colors with black and white prints.

 Dad covered in pigeons at Grand Place
*
7.  I fell in love with black again.
In a city that embraces minimalist fashion you can't help but appreciate the complex world of black.  Watch Ann Demeulemeester's Fall/Winter 2011-2012 collection that applies strong detailing to an all black motif.

No comments:

Post a Comment