Friday, July 15, 2011

Shoe Restyled

Restyled Aldo "Craver" espadrille


While numbingly strolling through a Newport News, VA mall (in which I was employed in a past life) days before my departure to Guinea, I found a pair of beige espadrilles I felt were a classic and safe retail purchase. In actuality, the shoe turned out to be too light for my complexion and the rich clay earth of West Africa. After an evening of minimal activity they were ruined.

Rather than throw away a rare retail buy defeated, I painted them, replaced the god-awful ribbon and gave my sandals a new life.


Tools? Acrylic paint and leather cord acquired at a craft store. My palette contained raw sienna, Quaker grey, metallic silver and black which I mixed to create varying shades and colors. I applied three layers of paint to the canvas body at the toe and heel and one to each braid of the wedge which dried quickly and has withstood rainy days.




2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised nobody commented on this extraordinary shoe make over!
    The whole blog is witty and intelligent, but this particular post for some reason blew me away:))

    http://iloveeclair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heartily agree about being blown away! you are incredible! these shoes look wonderful. the color stripes on the sole are subtle and yet really pop and wow the senses. i wouldn't have ever known these shoes weren't made this way in the first place. very professional work.

    ReplyDelete